Author Topic: Elon Musk teases that Tesla software update will 'end range anxiety'  (Read 1921 times)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Post your thoughts/predictions/guesses soon... we'll know on Thurs. (just before we could discuss at Friday's meeting):

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/15/8218133/tesla-model-s-range-anxiety-teaser-announcement

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
Re: Elon Musk teases that Tesla software update will 'end range anxiety'
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:31:14 PM »
Maybe he is going to add an "Insanely Efficient" mode that allows it to go 350 miles.  Being serious though we have recently heard about the significant gains they have made in batteries.  I am sure the batteries have gotten better over the years but since this goes back to the beginning of the Model S I can only assume their model for how deep to discharge the pack was overly conservative and they are going to give the owners some of that margin to use.  I would also speculate that the new software will do more adjustment over time based on the condition of the pack so you get the range to play with when the pack is doing well. 

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
Jeff, I think your assessment is on target. He likely has a new charging algorithm that will give extended pack life.  Deeper discharge could be one factor, they may have new information about charging rate and battery capacity, or perhaps a charging algorithm that extends capacity over many charge cycles.  I also suspect he has found a driving mode that increases regen.  If he has enough computer processing power onboard, he can extend range by doing GPS coordinates with a memory of prior trips.  If the software recognizes that you always stop at a set GPS coordinates on your way to work, it could turn up regen at that point each day.
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:52 PM »
Darn, i forgot to comment before this announcement today.  Before this announcement, i was in high agreement with Jeff's and Rich's comments.  After the announcement, i have to say i'm even more impressed with Musk's big picture mentality and leveraging Tesla's business model!

http://www.businessinsider.com/here-comes-elon-musks-announcement-about-ending-tesla-range-anxiety-2015-3

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »
So good nav software that takes the guesswork out of if you will make it or not.  Not bad for straight forward long distance trips.  I wonder how much it will help for the roaming IT consultant who doesn't know where his next stop will be?