Author Topic: EV parts suppliers  (Read 7573 times)

jeremy.mclean

EV parts suppliers
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
Greetings all,

I am a new member here an I plan to convert my old car into an EV.

I have been looking online at different part suppliers and was wondering if one was better than another.

Is there a list of EV part suppliers out there?

In addition to that, is there one or a few that are better than the others?

I am mostly speaking of good customer service and good business practices.

Pricing seems relativity equal, plus or minus.

Finding a good local place would be nice as well.

Thank you

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Re: EV parts suppliers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:41:48 AM »
Hi Jeremy, 

Some of us have used KTA and EVA quite a bit in the past and been very pleased with their integrity and excellent knowledge.   Both are listed under Electric Vehicles/Links/Companies on our website:

http://www.fveaa.org/component/option,com_weblinks/catid,7/Itemid,6/

Call me anytime... i love talking about EV building, etc. :)   Fyi, there is a Member Roster on our website (but you'll have to login there to access it).

Kind regards,
ted

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
I would also want to mention that buying used is something not to be ignored these days.  For example there is a really nice charger for sale on our forums here for pretty cheap.
Also last I looked there was an 11 inch motor for a reasonable price which would be good if you are in a position to consider direct drive.

lastly
http://www.evtradinpost.com/
is a good resource for used / new parts.

You might also consider buying a used EV and gutting out the components you want and selling the rest as scrap / parting it out. 

Bob Baker is doing some good presentations on this topic right now but to paraphrase one of the important parts "it costs money".  The other one is to make sure the vehicle you are starting with is in really good shape so you don't spend all of your money and time doing restoration.   You didn't mention anything about the project but often conversions are not the lowest cost paths to entry in the EV land.  A used Prius which you then modify or a used Leaf/iMiev are excellent, and quickly getting inexpensive, ways in to reliable EV transportation. 

So please tell us about the car you want to convert.  It's age condition etc.  Also a blurb about why this car and all that would be good.

Have a good day
Jeff

jeremy.mclean

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »

So please tell us about the car you want to convert.  It's age condition etc.  Also a blurb about why this car and all that would be good.

Ok, I will write a bit on the member conversion thread.

Thank you for the info.

Jeremy