Author Topic: Electric Ultralight Aircraft - AWESOME  (Read 1893 times)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Electric Ultralight Aircraft - AWESOME
« on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
Maybe a new hobby?   Just like we got Jim S (the token "boat guy"), we need a token "airplane" guy :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZ2seiQ-Zk&feature=youtu.be

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
Re: Electric Ultralight Aircraft - AWESOME
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 10:59:16 PM »
I wouldn't flying around with a single Kelly controller...

5.4kwh power
5000 bucks for the battery he is running.  6000 for the motor.  That is all pretty normal but I would want redundant controllers and the ability to isolate half the battery bank to be able to have a planned landing. 

40 minutes flight time so not practical for use in our urban setting.  For fun goofing around in the open spaces I can see that.  It is an Ultralight/Experimental aircraft so regulations are about 0. 

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:42:33 PM »
Good one Jeff!  "a single Kelly controller...." :-)

Yes.. 3D travel does kinda beg for "redundancy" in system design.   But even having two controllers could still result in failure when some other "single" part fails.  This is a fascinating topic... many moons ago, i did my master thesis on 'fault-tolerant distributed operating systems'.

One good thing about an ultralight i think is that the aircraft itself is designed to fly (glide) down in case of some issue.

Yes... it will be a while before we see the sky filled with people commuting to work using electric ultralights... we need to first agree on drone (quadcopter) regulations... :-)

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »
> Right now I am the closest thing we have to a token airplane guy.

LOL Jeff!  And when i get my out-of-the-way electric-ultralight shop set up, i hope you will be the first to visit (and stay awhile) :-)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:45:05 AM by ted.lowe »