Author Topic: Mitsubishi lowers i-MiEV price and increases the content.  (Read 3015 times)

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Mitsubishi lowers i-MiEV price and increases the content.
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
The 2014 model year Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES model including CHAdeMO DC quick charge port, battery warming system and heated side view mirrors now starts at only $22,995 – an astonishing $6,130 price reduction from the previous generation. After factoring in the Federal tax credit of $7,500, the net MSRP of the 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV drops down to only $15,495. Further subtract the Illinois Rebate, and you can have a new Mitsubishi i-MiEV for $11,495. 
In addition, they added significant content to the car, inlcuding:

Accessories/Features
  • Driver and front passenger heated seats
  • CHAdeMO DC quick charge port
  • Battery warming system
  • Heated side view mirrors
  • Rear door speakers
  • 8A/12A switchable Level 1 charging cable*** (approximate charge time from near empty to fully charged - 22 hours for 8 amp/14 hours for 12 amp)
  • Charge port lamp

Interior Enhancements
  • Leather-covered steering wheel and shift knob
  • Passenger-side vanity mirror with lid
  • Numerous decorative color/trim upgrades

Exterior Enhancements
  • Aluminum wheels
  • Front fog lights
  • New daytime running lights (DRL)
  • Black-out door sash trim

The Mitsubishi isn't a Tesla, but as a basic transportation piece, it certainly poses a viable alternative to gasoline power for city/suburban families.  It's range isn't 100 miles, like the Leaf or others, more like 60-75 miles with reasonably careful driving.  It has one of the lower range ratings of EV's marketed today, but now the cost is so dramatic that it forces you to consider this. 

Mitsubishi has made several announcements about the price decrease, but these fail to mention a new set of driving modes:

The 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV's shift selector allows the driver to choose between three drive settings to maximize driving efficiency and/or to increase energy recycling from the vehicle's regenerative braking system:

"D"-position
Allows maximum performance from the vehicle as it generates 100% torque in direct response to accelerator input

"ECO"-position
Helps to maximize energy usage ("fuel" economy) by slightly reducing overall power output to help reduce the rate of battery consumption

"B"-position
Increases the regenerative brake biasing to augment energy recycling (with 100% of power production available, same as in the "D" position)

If your family situation is in need of a second or third car, simply to run errands, take a look at the i-MiEV. 
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

chuck.carrington

Re: Mitsubishi lowers i-MiEV price and increases the content.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 03:37:53 AM »
I like the idea of the 3rd choice for driving mode. I have often wished that I could drive my Leaf with the power of D and the regen breaking of ECO without shifting back and forth.

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
$7,500, the net MSRP of the 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV drops down to only $15,495. Further subtract the Illinois Rebate, and you can have a new Mitsubishi i-MiEV for $11,495. 

Great math Rich!  That's crazy affordable!!!  Go EVs!

dave.rosenbaum

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »
Im living in Bloomington Il.  The Mitsubishi plant is right here.  The local dealer, O'Brien Mitsubishi  is doing a 2 year lease at $90/mo.  They're giving them away.

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
WOW $90/mo!!!