Author Topic: Trailer for extending range of pure plugin  (Read 6358 times)

howard.hansen

• Contributor
Re: Trailer for extending range of pure plugin
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:33:03 AM »
The pusher has been built before.  Is this one supposed to charge the EV while pushing it?  Factory-built EVs will not allow externally charging while driving.  As I've said before, I'm in favor of the pusher concept.  Start your trip with fully charged batteries.  Don't worry about range.  Arrive at your destination at whatever state of discharge you desire.  You get the benefits of a PHEV except you get to leave the ICE at home if you're knocking around locally. 

rich.rezny

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
Here is a site to check out www.mrsharkey.com This guy built a pusher out of the front end of a VW Rabbit. He chronicles his trials and tribulations with his device.

geoffrey.pullinger

• Geoff Pullinger Website
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »
This (www.mrsharkey.com) is one of my favourite web sites.  Not only does it have everything you probably need to know about pusher trailers it also has extensive descriptions of some very interesting homebuilt RV's or motor homes.  I've considered building a pusher trailer but it seems to make more sense to build a generator trailer to extend range.  I think this idea of combining a generator with a slight pusher to compensate for the weight of the trailer may be an even better idea.  This trailer is way too expensive for me to consider - but a good idea.   The question for the DIY person like myself is where do you get a generator that can provide the kind of current needed but does not weigh 4,000 pounds?