Author Topic: Metric Mind Corporation FAQ is educational  (Read 2352 times)

scott.fauque

Metric Mind Corporation FAQ is educational
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »
Metric Mind Corporation FAQ is educational

http://www.metricmind.com/education/

FAQ – updated

1. My BRUSA NLG5 charger gives me STD Batt Volt Hi error (overvoltage error) while the battery never exceeds its pre-set output . Why?
2.  Do I need a BMS (Battery Management System) for my LiFePO4 battery pack in my EV?
3.  I want to convert my (…insert your car make and model here…) to an electric. I want 70 mph top speed, and about 50 miles range. Which drive system and battery do I need?
4.  Fundamentally, why would I choose AC system over comparable power DC system?
5.  Well, but it all comes to the cost. I’ve heard AC systems are much more complex and thus expensive than simpler DC systems providing the same power. Is that true?
6.  Since AC requires high (typically higher than DC) voltage, my battery will be twice as big, heavy and BMS twice as complicated/expensive now.
7.  How do I size the motor? How much power do I need? What horse power engine equates to, say, 30 kW motor?
8.  One of typical emails with typical questions I get quite regularly:
“First, I’m still trying to figure out the motor-transmission question. Will I still need to make my own adapter plate?
Second, What kind of performance can I expect, roughly. Is there any “quick-n-dirty” correlation that can be made between ICE hp and DC (or AC) kW? Even if it’s as simple as 1kw roughly give the equivalent as between 1.5 and 3.6 hp, that would help a lot.
Third, Why would I pay so much for your charger when there are plenty of chargers out there under $500?
9.  To clutch or not to clutch?
10.  How does AC drive systems compare to DC drive systems?
11.  What is the best way to increase the power of the system?
12.  Which motor do you recommend (or firs my application better): 18 kW  1PV5105WS12 or 30 kW  1PV5133WS18?
13.  Is the regenerative braking current adjustable?
14.  Can it regen rolling backwards?
15.  What happen if I press accelerator and regen pedal simultaneously?