Author Topic: Replacing my Model S  (Read 4687 times)

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
Re: Replacing my Model S
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
I got the car! 

The plate issue was interesting, and I am curious if other members / dealers have had a similar experience.  What the onsite people told me was that in Mid January 2019 the State told Tesla they could no longer sell cars with EV plates directly, and they would have to sell the cars with normal physical plates installed.  It was then up to the vehicle owner to pursue EV plates either right away, forfeiting the $101 plate fee, and then paying the fees associated with the transfer and then pay the EV plate fee.  It seems like the state is circumventing the law by forcing the dealers to not allow people to go straight to EV plates (on dealer purchased vehicles).  I did see several other deliveries taking place and they were all getting standard plates. 

How to avoid some of this, transfer existing plates, even standard plates to your EV.  Better yet transfer EL plates from your existing EV to your new EV! You need to have at least 3 months left on your plates to do the transfer.  So my Tesla is wearing regular plates until November.  I have no idea why the team in California wasn't offering this as an option.

Has anyone else heard this?

On the car itself, it has some issues that are going to get fixed under warranty.  The paint work was in pretty good shape and the tires and wheels are in great shape.  One of the more annoying issues is that they forgot to wipe the car's computers before they gave it to me.  It still has the previous owners settings in it, let's just say his home address was programmed into the navigation program and his garage opener was still programmed into the HomeLink, and I can't wipe it because his email address and Tesla account password are required to wipe the car.  Project for today, get Tesla to wipe it!

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »
Tesla has wiped the car, and I have set it up the way I like it.  I also have access to it via the mobile app now.  When I bought my last one private party the process for getting them to transfer it into my name for app access took at least a week, so this was better than that.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:29:09 PM by jeffrey.miller »

kyle.platt

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 11:38:20 PM »
You have to do paper temporary plates instead of having them do the quick registration. The nice thing is then you don't have to pay the extra doc fee they try to stick you with. Did a similar thing with my old car on principle.

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »
Current Automotive is no longer showing my old Model S in stock.  Less than 30 days is a pretty good turn time so I guess that worked out for them.  They listed it for about $6000 more than they paid me for it and I am happy because it looks like they moved it quickly.  I am happy with the deal they made me, and I am glad to see them do well on my car so that they will hopefully do business again with me in the future.