Author Topic: New SAE combination AC Level II and Fast DC plugs approved  (Read 3590 times)

rich.carroll

• Veteran
New SAE combination AC Level II and Fast DC plugs approved
« on: October 16, 2012, 12:47:39 AM »
Today the SAE International announced the approval of a new technical standard, developed with the cooperation of 190 automakers, utilities, and equipment builders to reduce vehicle charge times to as little as 20 minutes.

See the officail SAE press release at:  http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121015/OEM05/121019893/sae-approves-new-fast-charging-standard-for-evs-plug-ins&cciid=email-autonews-daily

The new connector piggybacks an existing J1772 connector above the direct DC connections.  Signalling and proximity detection (the small leads in the original J1772 connector) are still used with the direct DC charging.

Please note that this is a direct competitor to the CHAdeMO protocol.  For further reading see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAdeMO

Thanks, Pope
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

james.zukowski

Re: New SAE combination AC Level II and Fast DC plugs approved
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
The new connector piggybacks an existing J1772 connector above the direct DC connections.  Signalling and proximity detection (the small leads in the original J1772 connector) are still used with the direct DC charging.

The challenge I see is that the dual-purpose version shown here is not directly compatible with the existing, "single-purpose" J1772: Due to the combination molding, the current version plug won't fit into the dual-purpose socket.

Any word on how the standards may address this, aside from replacing hardware?

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »
I believe the new combination plug is compatible with J1772 connector, which can use the top part of the combination connection:

Nothing can use the bottom half by itself, as the control circuit and the proximity feed are in the top part of the connection.  So a J1772 connector could use the top half, or a high amperage direct DC charging station could use the entire connector.

At one point, there was released tentative pictures of an J1772 which WOULD NOT have been compatible, but I don't think any of these were ever produced. Note the flat top to the outside ring of the connector.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Rich
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

james.zukowski

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
Definitely much clearer, and it DOES look like it will be compatible.
Thanks for the update pix.