Author Topic: New Iota DC/DC converters no longer work with a DC input.  (Read 18842 times)

john.emde

• Contributor
New Iota DC/DC converters no longer work with a DC input.
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
Up until now (Nov. 2011), the Iota DC/DC converters that we have sold and installed in many conversions are no longer available for use with a DC input. The new production units we just bought have a design change that cannot be corrected. They are being returned.
The company (Iota) says they will not be able to supply new units with a DC input.
We here at Pioneer are searching for an alternative, at a reasonable price. We will be doing testing on a couple of other brands. Further info will follow soon.

John     Pioneer Conversions

scott.wilkinson

• EVAddicts.com
Re: New Iota DC/DC converters no longer work with a DC input.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:31:54 AM »
I am interested to hear what you move to next.  I will also be in the market for a DC-DC converter in January.  One that I have been looking at that is similar to the Iota is the Acme. 110-370v input, 10-15 volts out, 50amps.
http://evolveelectrics.com/DC-DC%20Converters.html#elcondcdc

dio.vesselinov

• Dio
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:18:03 AM »
i will look for this problem i need more specification info of what we need.as far parameters like range E.T.C ;)

geoffrey.pullinger

• Geoff Pullinger Website
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
I just purchased the ACME for my conversion.  I will let you know if it is any good.  I thought the higher amperage IOTA converters still accepted DC - like 75 amps and above.  Maybe because they are more expensive they are the last to go out of stock.

dave.hostert

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 01:37:52 AM »
I purchased an Elcon converter for my 120 volt setup from EV America.  It seems to work well and is very compact.  These guys are great for customer service and back up their products if there happen to be any issues.

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 01:39:24 AM »
I agree the Acme unit has promising specs, we have one on order also.  We had stayed with the Iotas for a number of years for primarily three reasons:
  • They had the right specs for what we needed
  • They had an extremely low failure rate, we only saw one that had failed, and it was easily replaced by Iota under warranty
  • The ability to electrically select whether the output was 13.6V (great for keeping accessory batteries charged) or 14.2V (great while driving, for lights, wipers, flashers, etc.) and set this up to work off the ignition switch was perfect.

Unfortunately, while the Acme unit appears to be adjustable for output voltage, that adjustment can't be selected from the driver's seat or automatically on the key switch.
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
Rich - My Iota unit failed after driving for about 1-1/2 years.  I don't think it was covered under warranty, but I do tax the unit a bit when I use the power steering (which is not too often).

I hope we can find a good replacement.  Out of the 2 types of converters that I've used (DCP and Iota), Iota was by far the more superior product.

scott.wilkinson

• EVAddicts.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:27:54 AM »
Found out the Acme DC-DC is actually this Meanwell model:

Mean Well HRPG-600-12

There are other suppliers that have it cheaper than Evolve.