Author Topic: EV Safety Training - Downloadable materials from Chevrolet  (Read 5855 times)

scott.fauque

EV Safety Training - Downloadable materials from Chevrolet
« on: September 19, 2011, 05:40:34 AM »
http://www.evsafetytraining.org/Resources/Auto-Manufacturer-Resources/Chevrolet.aspx

Chevrolet
As part of its Electric Vehicle Safety Training project, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is working with General Motors and Chevrolet to help prepare the nation's fire service and other first responders for the growing number of electric vehicles on the road.

Chevrolet is a global automotive brand, with annual sales of about 3.5 million vehicles in more than 130 countries. OnStar, a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Motors, is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and communication services.

Online training now available: NFPA, Chevrolet, and OnStar have launched online Electric Vehicle Safety Training for the 2011 Chevrolet Volt, an extended-range electric vehicle that hit the roads last fall. The training features an inside look at the vehicle's technology and safety systems.nline safety training for the Chevy Volt.

Downloadable materials from Chevrolet on the Volt
Chevrolet Volt Emergency Response Guide (PDF, 2.4 MB)
Chevrolet Volt Emergency Responder Quick Reference Page Training Class Reference (PDF, 7.7 MB)
Chevrolet Volt Emergency Responder Quick Reference Guide (PDF, 601 KB)
General Motors High Strength Steel Reference Guide (PDF, 674 KB)

GM provides First Responder Emergency Response Guides and safety training materials free of charge for ALL of it's hybrids, EREVs, and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles here:

https://www.gmstc.com/FirstResponder.aspx

If you know of ANY police, ambulance or fire department personnel that might be interested, feel free to forward the link to them them

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Re: EV Safety Training - Downloadable materials from Chevrolet
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
Each manufacturer of vehicles has some form of Emergency Response Guide (known as an ERG) online for their BEV's, HEV's, PHEV's, etc.  I tried to show the wide variation in quality between some of the best ones, and some of the poorer ERG's in my presentation. 

Aside from the wide variation in quality in ERG's, First Responders also have a challenge in being able to see the latest ERG for a car.  These are continually updated, and there is no central repository for the most current information. 

I suggested to my First Responder trainer in Lemont that he urge EVSafetyTraining.com or some similar group to provide a central link repository for these.  Another problem that they are about to have is differentiating the 'new' information.  Most First Responders cannot tell if they are approaching a 2011 MiniE, or a 2012, and there may be differences in their ERG's.  I'll try to keep everyone posted on any central repository for links for updated ERG's. 

A second problem is that while updated info might soon be available from a repository for First Responders, there is not a good way to get it in the hands of an Emergency Response professional.  They are working on sending out the FR, and having someone in the FD communications staff locate and transmit the appropriate ERG to the FR as soon as the year, make and model have been identified.

Stay posted.
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

dave.hostert

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
The National Alternative Fuels Training Consortium has developed a guide for first responders to deal with different alternative fuels.  They used to have a kit that included important info on laminated sheets, 1000volt gloves, a hook to move live wires, etc. to carry with the first responde'rs vehicle.  Anyway, info can be found here:
http://www.naftc.wvu.edu/curricula_training/course_workshop_information/first_responders

scott.fauque

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:08:18 AM »
I suggested to my First Responder trainer in Lemont that he urge EVSafetyTraining.com or some similar group to provide a central link repository for these.

Look at my first link above!! It was the EVSafetyTraining.com website.  

As well if you go to that link you will see on the left hand side is (which seems like a central respository) <grin> :

Manufacturer Resources:
Chevrolet
Ford
Nissan
BMW
Lexus
Toyota
Volkswagen

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »
I suggested to my First Responder trainer in Lemont that he urge EVSafetyTraining.com or some similar group to provide a central link repository for these.

Look at my first link above!! It was the EVSafetyTraining.com website.  

As well if you go to that link you will see on the left hand side is (which seems like a central respository) <grin> :

Manufacturer Resources:
Chevrolet
Ford
Nissan
BMW
Lexus
Toyota
Volkswagen

Yes, Scott I was fully aware of the list, and am partially relating my experience in talking to First Responders.  They said, on multiple occasions, and in multiple ways that they want a complete list.  It was pointed out to me that the list and links at the quoted web site do not include information on several models.  For example:
Manufacturer        Model Included in list        Model Not in list
 Chevrolet                              Volt
 Chevrolet                                                         Tahoe Hybrid
 Chevrolet                                                         Silverado Hybrid
 Chevrolet                                                         Malibu Hybrid
 GMC                                                                Yukon Hybrid
 GMC                                                                Sierra Hybrid  
 Saturn                                                             Vue Green Line
 Saturn                                                             Aura Green Line
 Cadillac                                                            Escalade Hybrid
 Ford                             Escape Hybrid
 Ford                             Mariner Hybrid
 Ford                             Fusion Hybrid
 Ford                             Milan Hybrid
 Ford                             MKZ Hybrid
 Ford                                                                    Focus Electric
 Ford                                                                    Transit Connect Electric
 Nissan                          Leaf
 Nissan                          Altima Hybrid
 Nissan                                                                  Altima Hybrid using Toyota Synergy Drive
 BMW                            Mini E
 BMW                            X6 Hybrid (E72)
 BMW                            7 Series Active Hybrid
 Lexus                           HS 250 h
 Lexus                           GS 450 h
 Lexus                           LS 600 h
 Lexus                           RX 400 h
 Lexus                           RX 450 h
 Lexus                                                                    LS 600 hL
 Lexus                                                                    CT 200 h
 Toyota                         Prius 1st Gen
 Toyota                         Prius 2nd Gen
 Toyota                         Prius 3rd Gen
 Toyota                         Highlander Hybrid 1st Gen
 Toyota                         Highlander Hybrid 2nd Gen
 Toyota                         Camry Hybrid 1st Gen
 Toyota                                                                  Camry Hybrid 2nd Gen
 Toyota                                                                  Camry Hybrid 3rd Gen
 Honda                                                                   Insight 1st Gen
 Honda                                                                   Civic Hybrid Gen 1
 Honda                                                                   Accord Hybrid Gen 1
 Honda                                                                   Civic Hybrid Gen 2
 Honda                                                                   Insight 2nd Gen
 Honda                                                                   CR-Z
 Honda                                                                   Fit Hybrid
 Fisker                                                                   Karma
 Volkswagen                  Touareg Hybrid
 Tesla                                                                    Roadster
 Mitsubishi                                                             i-MiEV
 Mazda                                                                  Tribute Hybrid
 Dodge                                                                  Durango Hybrid
 Mercedes Benz                                                      S400 BlueHybrid
 Hyundai                                                                Elantra LPI Hybrid
 Hyundai                                                                Sonata Hybrid
 Mazda                                                                   Tribute Gen 2
 Porsche                                                                 Cayenne S
 Kia                                                                        Optima Hybrid
 Infinity                                                                  M35 Hybrid

As you can see from the list, The EV Safety Training site is far from a comprehensive list.  Some manufacturers have submitted ERG's on all hybrids and BEV's they have made commercially, some manufacturers have submitted paperwork on only some of their models, and the last ten manufacturers listed haven't released any ERGs at all to the EV Safety Training site.

Now, not all these models are common around here, but they have been introduced and there are cars on our roads matching these descriptions.  I have tried to exclude a couple of Canadian marketed cars, and I have excluded all the trucks.  There are several hybrid truck versions in the US, and none of them appear on the EV Safety Training list, yet they travel the same roads, and if they need, they get the same First Responder that a car does.  

Sorry, but a list that comprises less than half of the manufacturers, and lists less than half of all models is not a comprehensive list, nor is it a very representative central repository.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:27:05 PM by rich.carroll »

scott.fauque

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:58:22 AM »
Thanks for the great reply.  I understand your whole point better now as there is a list just incomplete.

My point of the thread was that there were 4 great PDFs available for the Chevrolet Volt and I think it will be reasonably popular in a few years so hopefully folks coming to this forum will be more informed about the Volt.  Good information and pictures even if you are not a responder.  Thought it was useful as well since I saw the responder stuffer in the last months newsletter and I had to miss that meeting.

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:41:14 PM »
My point of the thread was that there were 4 great PDFs available for the Chevrolet Volt and I think it will be reasonably popular in a few years so hopefully folks coming to this forum will be more informed about the Volt.  Good information and pictures even if you are not a responder.

You are completely right.  When I assembled the program, the Volt has one of the best ERG's available.  The BMW Hybrids are also very complete and fully coded for all First Responder hazards.  I wish all the ERG's were as good, but at least the others can look at the Volt or the BMW as an example to follow. 

One of the ways that has been proposed to make these ERG's available to FR's is to carry several copies in the car, one in the trunk, one in the engine compartment, perhaps one in the interior, since an accident may make some of these inaccessible.   This solves the problem of changes.  Some of the changes in cars will be on a yearly model basis, some not.  The FR has no right to assume that the ERG for a 2011 Volt is the same as the 2012.  Perhaps the manufacturer moved cables, has moved or introduced hood lifting struts (a hazard for FR's as they can explode in a fire) or made other 'improvements.'  Even a simple change in cable suppliers can make a difference if they use a different path.    Model variations will be a significant problem, and there is not a great way for FR's to cope with this yet.

scott.fauque

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »
This article popped up in my Google watch list.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20110923/NEWS/109230326/Class-teaches-emergency-responders-about-electric-vehicles?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CNews%7Cs

Class teaches emergency responders about electric vehicles
Such cars have special needs, pose certain dangers

About 40 public safety officials from around the state gathered for an electric and hybrid vehicle training class Thursday in Salem. The goal was to teach first responders about the dangers that electric and hybrid vehicles pose to them.

"Our firefighters and first responders always have adapted their response to new types of vehicles and technologies," said Eriks Gabliks, director of the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training. "Oregon is one of the leading states in terms of hybrid and electric vehicle sales. This training will help our first responders prepare and have the knowledge to better protect the communities we serve."

It was the first organized training session of its kind and was offered by the National Fire Protection Association at Oregon Public Safety Academy.
<snip>